Every crisis presents an opportunity to try something new, as well as the need to do so. After the Covid-19 pandemic hit, it has forced us to reorganize our lives to ensure sustained access to essentials and supplies in the modern age of lockout, social distancing, and self-quarantine.
The Indian market has quickly shifted gears, opting for hyperlocal delivery channels to meet their needs. The demand for the hyperlocal model in the grocery market, which has always been considered the most difficult segment to break into, demonstrates its acceptance in our everyday lives and its transformation into a business reality.
With the advent of several online grocery stores, e-commerce sites, and other distribution-based start-ups that have forged alliances with local neighborhood stores and supermarkets, hyperlocal delivery of groceries, fruits, and vegetables has accelerated.
It has also assisted in the management of these stores by a younger generation that can adopt technology in their daily lives. Via intuitive smartphone applications, the in-store experience has now transformed into an in-hand shopping experience.
Furthermore, by delivering payment and last-mile delivery expertise to community shops, these hyperlocal players have significantly minimized friction. Even during these tumultuous times, the local stores have reciprocated by keeping their supply chain intact with minimal disruptions.
Increasing customer demand, fuelled by a growing number of well-funded start-ups, curated goods and services, and the promise of “on-demand delivery,” has fueled hyperlocal e-commerce. Their popularity has piqued the attention and involvement of some of the world’s largest corporations and online behemoths. Furthermore, consumers in metros, villages, and towns have adopted the “near me” model, with many of them adopting the “ideal combination of online convenience and physical reassurance.”
So, what is Hyperlocal Delivery, and how does it work?
The process entails a courier agent picking up items from a vendor and delivering them to the customer’s address. Because of the comfort and flexibility, they provide, hyperlocal deliveries are becoming increasingly common among brands.
What role does Hyperlocal Delivery play in today's pandemic?
- People are not permitted to leave their homes in the current situation, which includes many lockdowns and social distancing norms across the world. People have been forced to stay indoors because of this ban. As a result, both buyers and business owners have no choice but to use delivery services. Hyperlocal delivery play a key role in this situation.
- Customers are only granted access to important goods such as food, groceries, medications, medical supplies, hygiene products, and so on, which they typically purchase from nearby stores. Hyperlocal delivery has become a game-changer during lockdowns when no one can enter stores to buy their weekly food or other important goods. Hyperlocal delivery allows sellers to offer vital items to consumers right at their doorstep.
- Today, some of the world’s most well-known businesses, such as Amazon, have begun providing hyperlocal delivery of vital goods around the country to satisfy their consumers’ most pressing needs. They have temporarily prioritized their order fulfillment and logistics capability to get high-priority goods to consumers as soon as possible.
- Although the average man is facing significant difficulties in the current pandemic, the pandemic has also had a significant impact on companies. Company establishments are racing to prepare for the decline as the lockdown regulations relax and the markets gradually reopen. In the COVID-19 era, they are now relying on hyperlocal deliveries to remain afloat in the industry.
- The logistics industry has benefited from the hyperlocal distribution model because it has helped them optimize time, expense, and resources. Since time is saved on short distances traveled, fewer distribution resources are needed, and sellers can serve more customers. Furthermore, since aggregators charge nominal rates based on shipment weight, small businesses do not have to spend a lot of money on shipping.
With e-commerce booming in the country, many goods must be delivered immediately within a certain radius of an area. For a hyperlocal distribution startup, this is amazingly simple to implement. Given how easily shipping behemoths have entered the country, India most certainly has the infrastructure for these. In terms of growth, it took a pandemic to recognize the value of these startups, and they have experienced exponential growth because of the demand generated during this period.
All of this indicates that hyperlocal companies are here to stay. Because of the hygiene and protection, citizens tended to focus on the well-known local businesses during the difficult times. This eventually worked; the current economic situation allowed hyperlocal vendors to take advantage of it, and the distribution system, as a result, became an effective tool.
Going forward, the hyperlocal delivery space will continue to flourish, especially at a time when the COVID-19 scare is widespread, and many consumers have grown accustomed to receiving essentials at the click of a button.
Route planning and last-mile distribution optimization are critical in pandemic situations to ensure smooth operations. Field staff and courier agents should be able to monitor their orders in real-time, ensuring that customers receive their orders on time.
Effective fleet management and last-mile delivery optimization will help you make fast hyperlocal deliveries, whether you are an e-commerce vendor or a local delivery service. So, are you ready to use last-mile delivery tools to boost the quality of your hyperlocal deliveries? MIMO can help your business come online with the best hyperlocal delivery services in the region.